Saturday, January 29, 2011

01-29-2011


 I don’t know why it takes me so long to see movies that everyone else has seen.  Oh yeah, I’m lazy.  Some will consider being too lazy to participate in an activity where you just sit there and let people act out a story for your entertainment the epitome of laziness.  To them I say that I can fit nine Ho-Hos in my mouth at one time.  That takes time and dedication in order to perform that feat, proving that I am capable of hard work and focus.

When the temperature is 20 below and wind gusts to 40mph, I find it a bit daunting to spend time outside.  Last weekend I stayed home and watched The Shawshank Redemption for the first time.  I am a bit troubled that it took so long for me to finally get around to watching that movie.  It was a great movie.  It also got me thinking about other movies made from Steven King books.  Then I stopped, because I don’t think watching a Steven King marathon in the middle of the dark winter here would have positive affects on one’s mental health.  Plus all of that work, just sitting there, watching movies.

We had a slight cold snap this past week, with only one frozen water pipe at the school that broke.  All of the teacher’s houses pipes were ok, with the exception of one, which was frozen for a short time.  The wind will find nooks and crannies and freeze pipes that had been safe for years.   Our houses sit on stilts so I am glad I have good slippers.  I haven’t had many problems this winter except for one frozen pipe last month.  The furnace may be old, but it keeps the house warm. 

We had a community meeting at the school last week, as we do a few times during the school year.  This meeting is for the community to hear about what we’re doing at the school, and it gives them a chance to talk with the staff and tour the classrooms.  Notes are sent home with the students and placards are posted at the post office and laundry mat.  The meeting was to start at 6pm and at 6:30 we shut the doors after nobody showed up.  This was a disappointment to us, but it does point out the disconnect between the community and the school.  The turnout at our parent/teacher conferences was also disappointing.  I know that at other schools in our district the turnout is much higher, so I know it can be done. 

These kids are tough out here.  Last week it was 20 below zero and kids were still outside playing.  These same kids make it to school on time almost everyday.  I think my attendance rate is around 95%.  Since most of the students don’t have satellite TV, or video games to play at home, they must find school more enjoyable than staying at home.  We’ve had days when it has been a blizzard outside, but the kids are lined up at the outside door, waiting for the 8am opening.  It sure makes my job much easier when they are in school daily and I don’t have to try to catch them up.  I have enough trouble myself keeping up.

I’ve been spared strange dreams this week, so I haven’t had that on my mind.  It is stormy this weekend, so my TV reception is out.  This will give me time to catch up on my podcasts and maybe read a little.  But, I did see that there is a new movie about Navy jet pilots I want to watch.  I think it’s called Top Gun.  If my signal returns I might watch that tonight.





1 comment:

  1. I don't recommend The Shining in your situation. :)

    Sad about the turnout at the community meeting.

    ReplyDelete