Saturday, January 22, 2011

01-22-2011


            Sigmund Freud said that dreams are subconscious wishes to be interpreted.  Dreams of achievement I can see; but what about dreams that I have that are disturbing?  And what if your dream of achievement is also disturbing?  That kind of dream has got to be rough.  Luckily, I don’t have too many disturbing dreams.  Similarly, I don’t have dreams of achievement either; they’re mostly about food.  And me eating it. 
            The other night I had a disturbing dream.  The dream was about myself and a guy who I don’t know.  Oh yeah, and we were fighting two midgets.  I don’t know why we were fighting them, but I was sure angry with one of them.  Maybe he stole a pie I was eating.  He would just keep mocking me and staying just out of me reach.  I remember yelling at him just before I woke up: “Get over here you *&%$#ing midget!”  When I woke up, I was appalled at myself for calling someone a midget.  Not that I was trying to beat him up, but I called him a midget.  I’m not sure why I would have a dream like that, since I don’t find them menacing in any way.  Nor have I met anyone who is a little person.  I did watch Elf recently and I think that might be the root of it all.
            Luckily this dream doesn’t correlate to my job of teaching people who are short in stature and sometimes mock me.  Oh wait….  This was brought up by one of my coworkers.  I scoffed at her hypothesis but was interrupted when I had to chase after a student who took one of my cookies from my desk.  Ok, that scenario didn’t happen, but one of my coworkers did wonder if my dreams were related to my job.  I don’t subscribe to Freud’s school of thought on dreams, so I scoffed her.  I enjoy a good scoffing once in a while. 
            Other than the weird dream, my week went smoothly.  We had parent/teacher conferences this week.  I did not get the turn out I was hoping for, but the kids still keep coming to school, so that is the most important part.  Report cards were sent out and none came back with angry comments.  Since we use a standards based system, our report cards have no grades, but show actual progress in their level standards.
            I’m also starting my schooling again.  I’m taking two classes from UAF to complete my teacher certification in the state of Alaska.  These are both done online, so I don’t have to do any traveling to complete them.  And unlike last time I went to college, I won’t get angry looks for learning in my underwear.  A downside to the classes is that I won’t be able to watch The Biggest Loser.  But as TV programming geniuses would have it, I can watch back-to-back episodes of Man Vs Food instead, so I think it’s a good trade off.  Plus, I won’t feel guilty eating food that some would consider bad for me.  Adam Richmond does not judge, he enjoys.
            Well, I’ve awkwardly tied together a bizarre dream with my uneventful week.  I think my new goal here should be to ramble on about topics that have nothing in common, while pretending that they do.  I have been doing that in my classroom, so I see no problem doing it here.  I don’t think I will bring up my bizarre dream to the class, just in case some of them subscribe to Freud’s thoughts on dreams.  And luckily we won’t have to watch Elf until next year.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment