Wednesday, September 15, 2010

9-15-10

You never really know hate until it is directed at you.  On my way home from school, I was called a stink-butt.  You never think it can happen to you; that it happens in other neighborhoods, to other people.  You can rationalize it by thinking, “Yes, kindergarteners can be mean”, but in the end, it still cuts the same.
If you have read some of my past posts, I had described an encounter with two kindergarten girls.  Instead of leaving my porch when asked (politely I might add), one began to yell at me while the other chewed on a nail sticking out my porch door jam. Yeah, you know, what any kid would do.  Well, they must have been holding in their anger and hate for the past few weeks, and let it go today.  They followed me home from school today.  Follow can also be defined as: “cling to a larger person on his way home to eat dinner”.  When I didn’t extend an invitation to them for dinner, they lashed out with that hateful word.  The Spam and Ramen noodles didn’t give me the joy it normally does. 
Other than that, it has been an uneventful couple of days.  I’m coming down with a cold, so I have that going for me.  I never remember if I’m suppose to starve a cold and feed a fever or the other way around.  I cover all bases and feed any illness.  Botulism?  Feed it.  Sprained ankle?  Feed it.  A little sad after watching 30 Rock?  Ok, you get what I mean.  Since we have no substitute teachers here, I guess I’ll stick it out. 
The whole school will be going berry picking tomorrow.  There are wild cranberries in the tundra, and I guess the picking is fine.  I’m looking forward to getting the class outside for the afternoon.  The weather is supposed to be nice, about 55, so it will be fun.  We’ll count and weigh the berries on Friday for our math lesson.  That’s about as far as I’ve planned.  I’m not sure when the eating is going to happen, but I’m sure it will.
The kindergarten is not going to be going on the berry picking expedition, so it will be safe.  I’ll hold my head high put this night behind me.  Anyways, I’ll have some berries to help ease the pain.

2 comments:

  1. Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. People will be that way, no matter where you are. It' too bad we have so many of those that are the south end of a north bound horse. Nobody can keep everyone happy all the time. I pretty well gave up on keeping any one but myself happy. I had heard that was one of the down sides of being in your situation, that is not being a native surrounded by natives. None-the-less, hang in there,keep up the good work and keep us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stink-butts unite! We shall over come...

    ReplyDelete