Saturday, September 11, 2010

9-11-2010

I’m spending my Saturday afternoon like most people in Nunam Iqua, watching the Sooners beat Florida State. It is almost like being at home, except for the fact this a dry village, so my beverage of choice is tap water. And the time I spend with my wife is on Skype instead of her waiting on me hand and foot. I had a Spam sandwich, which I made from bread I baked last weekend and Spam that was caught wherever they live. Living the High Life.

Since my wife could see me on Skype, she made reference to the graying of my beard. After extensive research, I conclude and will maintain the reason is because my beard is blending with its environment. The only, and I stress only, flaw in that reasoning that my hair has not begun to re-grow in response to the impending cold. My best response is that maybe it’ll be a mild winter.

Last night a group of high school students, Natural Helpers, had an open gym for the community and it was my turn to help supervise. The Natural Helpers are nominated by their peers as students they would most go to in a time of crisis. Teen suicide is much higher here than the national average and this group receives training on recognizing when there is a problem with another student. They host a night of games for the community every couple of weeks so the kids can have a warm place to hang out and play. They also get to go on a trip at the end of the year. They were able to go to Hawaii last year, so they have an incentive to participate in the program. I think they receive their funds from a grant. However it is being paid for, I think it is a good organization to learn leadership skills and hopefully help someone when they need it. Plus, they are able to let kids have some fun on a Friday night.

We had our first birthday party on Friday. We had two birthdays, so we watched a movie, complete with popcorn and juice. Monica sent a box with microwave popcorn and it arrived just in time. (Thank you honey) They must have been practicing for the time they get to go to a theater, because I have never seen one cup of juice compel so many kids to use the bathroom. The kids are fond of lying on the floor when they are watching a movie. They kind of bunch up together, like they are huddling for warmth. One student asked if she could use the bathroom, and when the other students heard the door shut, the rest of the class popped up like a cluster of gophers. We resumed the movie after they all returned.

Now that the Sooners squeaked out a win against FSU, there seems to be plenty of other choices to keep me occupied on the sporting front. I don’t think I have to cook tonight because of an invitation to another teacher’s house for dinner. I cooked last weekend, so we try to spread it around. God I hope it’s not Spam.

Happy Birthday Lynn!

6 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention the bathroom issue, I have the same one with my students. One asks to go... then the rest follow, I swear it's contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clay - just so you know, SPAM is made about 20 miles from here in Austin, MN. YOu so have to come see the SPAM museum!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm a cousin, not an inlaw!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know why my comments won't go through. I guess I need a bigger hammer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like the hammer treatment worked!!! I haven't the slightest idea why my first try did not go. Anyhow' Spam isn't so bad. Unless you have to eat it. It is pretty good for baiting mouse traps. Also beats starvation. I believe it is still a toss up for who is getting the most education up there. Keep up the blog. It is much better than the Sunday comics. We will have to try the skype thing one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are all moved into our "new" classroom as of today and my kids have been wanting to use the bathroom all morning. Our old classroom had a bathroom in it, but this one doesn't...so I think that they are fascinated with the fact that they can now go outside of the room and wander the halls! I am still waiting to get my new Promethean Board and am missing it terribly, but when I get all "teched out" again we will have to do some collaborating via Skype. My kids are really excited about it!

    ReplyDelete