Sunday, February 12, 2012

2-12-2012


A colleague shared with me last week that we had reached our 100th day of school.  I didn’t realize this day held any significance.  He obviously did since he repeated himself, this time with more excitement.  I think he was hoping that I would join him in his joy.   Instead, all he got was a blank stare.  All this meant to me was that we still have 80 days left.  Now, if he had notified me that we had 2 days left till summer break, he might have gotten a kiss.  I don’t think he was hoping for a kiss, but he seemed a little disappointed that I didn’t share his joy.  I get that a lot.

Last week also began Monica’s first week as preschool teacher.  She has 5 students who were excited, scared, and curious to begin school for the first time.  A couple of them had older siblings, so they had been coached on what to expect. Monica really enjoyed meeting the kids and starting their routines for the rest of the year.  Her classroom is across the hall from mine, so I peeked in her window to see how everything was going.  It looked like she had been doing this for a long time.  I guess her years of telling me what to do and how to do it are serving her well with preschoolers.  Her first day started at my 100th day.  This doesn’t seem too fair.

Foxes vs Mustangs.
We also hosted an elementary basketball tournament this week.   Marshall and Alakanuk came to play with us.  Since the teams eat and sleep at the school, we were able to get several games in.  We played four games Thursday afternoon/ evening and another three more Friday morning.  The visiting teams usually don’t get a lot of sleep, so there were some tired kids when they flew out Friday afternoon.  We had a shortage of refs so I put on the striped shirt and did one game.  I had been a referee in my prior life, so I kind of knew what I was doing.  Luckily, there were a few people in the stands that would shout our helpful hints as to how I was suppose to do it.  The worst part was since I was not prepared to ref, I was not dressed for the part.  They did have the shirt, so I didn’t have to wear my flannel.  But, I was still running up and down the court in my Levis and long johns.  I can recommend strongly not wearing long johns while running on a basketball court.

The weather has warmed up to the positive side of zero.  That means we can get out on the snowmobile more often when we get the time.  I took a trip up to Emmonak last weekend with others to do some grocery shopping.  It was sunny and about 25, making it a beautiful day for a ride.  This weekend was filled with a very informational workshop on making digital movies in our classrooms.  This was done with video teleconferencing at the school.  We had five schools from our district participate and I think we all learned quite a bit.

Proof that there is learning in my classroom.
This week I also was offered my contract for next school year.  They offer them early up here because of the difficulty they can have finding teachers to teach out in the bush.  And to get them to stay.  I will sign it and return for next year.  Monica and I truly enjoy being out here.  Now that she has a job doing what she wants to do, it makes it pretty easy for us to stay here.  We have a great school and great students and I don’t think they’re done teaching us yet.

Well, here’s to the next 80 days going as smoothly as the first 100.  Some days it can seem like it’s all been in a row.  I’m looking forward to head south at the end of the month to see Larry and Mom for 5 days.  I know for sure I’m going to have a beer and a cheeseburger.  Maybe more than once.  Maybe more than once at the same time.  I have two hands after all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment