Saturday, February 19, 2011

02-19-2011


February may be the shortest month of the calendar year, but it can seem to drag on.  Since the winters start early and end after the rest of the country, March really isn’t anything to look forward to.  It’ll still be cold with no anticipation of spring yet.  But on the bright side, the landscape changes almost daily as the snowdrifts shift around, trying to find a place to call home.

Another reason that the second half of the year seems to drag on is because we will have zero school days off until the year is done.  From Christmas break to May 18, we do not have any three-day weekends or a spring break to look forward to.  I do think it is better to push through and have a longer summer break, so I’ll quit bitching for now.

I was offered a contract for next school year and I have signed and turned it in.  Some of the districts up here obviously want to know who’s coming back, so they offer contracts much earlier than most districts elsewhere.  Monica will be joining me here next year, which will make the year much better because I miss her.  It will also mean a more varied diet for me.  I don’t think Monica will want to eat the same three-meal rotation I have right now.  None of them include vegetables, so that part will change for me.  She informs me that coffee can’t be considered a vegetable unless I actually eat it.  I know what you’re thinking, but she said no soup.

I’ve also taken on another job: Jr. High basketball coach.  This is a co-ed team and I have 5 players.  I didn’t start out as the coach because I am taking 6 credits this semester and didn’t have the time.  The coach decided he couldn’t finish the season, so he quit.  That left the team without a coach and me without a team.  We don’t always get along, but I think we’re having fun.  I have found the time and it’s from 5-6:30pm, Monday through Friday.

When I coached high school basketball at Waterville, I had a great mentor in Dick Stoddard.  Unfortunately, Dick is not here, so I’m having to figure things out on my own.  We have a road trip next weekend and the kids are very excited about this.  Marshall is a village that is about 70 miles up the Yukon.  I think traveling to another village is more important to them than the game.  And I don’t blame them.  This gives them the opportunity to spend time in another village and meet other kids.  The teams stay at the school, so they’ll have 36 hrs to run around and eat candy and down energy drinks.  They also think that resting in sleeping bags on the floor of a classroom is fun: I disagree.  I see everyday what happens on a classroom floor. I’m not looking forward to having a pillow as the only barrier between my head and a classroom floor.  I may sleep in the teacher’s chair.  That isn’t really a consolation because I know what can happen in a teacher’s chair.  Of course, not to my chair, but other chairs. 

This trip will help shorten the month for me.  I will be able to make a visit to the store in Marshall so I can get some eggs, potatoes, and onions. This will give me another meal to put into my three-meal rotation, at least for a few weeks.  Until I run out eggs. I suppose I could purchase some fresh vegetables, but I don’t have much room and I have to prioritize.  Plus, potatoes and onions are bonafide vegetables.  The eggs will help supplement my cholesterol plan with the Spam.

No comments:

Post a Comment