Sunday, April 3, 2011

04-03-2011


From my classroom I have a great view of the airport.  Usually when I hear a plane land, I casually note its presence and continue with my work.   On Friday night, one particular plane was carrying cargo that was of great interest to me.  Monica was finally going to arrive.  For an airport that had only one flight that night, it was funny how many airplanes I heard before her plane finally landed. 

Monica arrived here at 7pm, but without her luggage.  She was charged an extra $15 for her luggage in Bethel.  But the suitcases stayed in Bethel, along with the other passengers’ luggage because of weight issues with the airplane.  This is not uncommon out here, so you just have to wait until the next flight.  Or the flight after that.  Or….  As of Sunday night, she is still luggageless.  We called the airlines yesterday, but they weren’t sure about the status of the luggage.  Monica wondered if she would be charged extra for allowing the airlines to store them for her.  Then the storm arrived, shutting down all flights in here.

The part of the luggage issue that pisses me off is that Monica loaded one suitcase with cheese and meat.  As much as I love my wife, I really love my wife when she brings me meat and cheeses.  Knowing that the Suitcase of Delicious is sitting in a hanger instead of here is causing me some distress.  Spam and Velveeta work for a while, but when I’m teased with the prospects of brats and cheddar I get a little crazy.  Crazy may be too strong of a word; I ordered Monica back to Bethel to get the luggage.  Ordered may be too strong of a word; I cried and pleaded with her to find that suitcase.  She said, and I quote, “No”. 

Monica’s issue with the luggage incident has more to do with her not having any clothes up here than missing out on the meat and cheese.   Without her hair dryer, I found her kneeling on the floor in front of the space heater.  I took a picture of her but I can’t seem to find the camera now.  And it really hurts when I sit down.  Oh well, I’m sure I’ll find it soon.

We are having a nice spring storm to welcome Monica.  We’ve dropped below zero a few nights last week and now it’s snowing and blowing.  I know the trail will be drifted shut in the morning, but it won’t be impossible to make the walk.  The wind will be at our backs, so that’ll make it easier.  Plus Monica is going to head out with me in the morning, so I’ll have to act like it’s no big deal.  With the wind making its noise, she won’t be able to hear me whining all the way.

Monica will be here for the next three weeks, so she’ll have a good idea of what to expect next year.  It is kind of weird having her here with me, because I’m used to having conversations with myself.  Now someone is on my couch when I talk to myself.  She’s used to it and is just glad I’m not talking to her.  This blog is just basically me talking to myself and you eavesdropping in on me.  But I do feel the need to put pants on when I’m typing this.  Hey, I found my camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment