Saturday, November 6, 2010

11-6-2010


A polar bear, an Eskimo, and a Rabbi walked into a bar.  I have nothing more after that. The strangest part of this scenario is that everyone knows that polar bears and Rabbis are mortal enemies.  I’m pretty sure they just accidently showed up at the same time.  Maybe the Rabbi and Eskimo showed up together, discussing how to interpret the Talmud into Yupik, and the polar bear just showed up because he was thirsty.  Plus, polar bears love nachos.  Can you tell nothing exciting happened here the past week?

I had an uneventful Halloween.  It turns out there was some candy left over and I had enough to hand out.  I even had enough for some to come through twice.  Apparently, covering you face with a hood is a costume.  The candy I handed out was Whoppers.  I hate Whoppers.  I ate a whole carton of them once when I was a kid and I got sick. I still have troubles eating them.  I had a similar experience with Southern Comfort.  I DID NOT give out Southern Comfort as treats. 

Winter has settled in here.  We have about 6 inches of snow on the ground with more to come.  It is getting down in the mid teens at night and mid 20’s during the day.  The old timers say that the winters are not very bad.  The interior of the state will routinely get into the -40s, but since we are on the Bering Sea, it keeps our temps quite mild.  Mild is relative, so I’ll get back to you with the meaning of mild.

It is only the first part of Nov and it stays dark most of the day now.  It gets light around 1030 AM and dark at about 7 pm.  We lose more than 5mins of daylight each day right now.  The sun is also low on the horizon, so it takes a while for the sun to get up and do its job.  I haven’t seen it in a week since it has been cloudy for a while.

Our first Friday each month is used for in-service for the staff, so that’s what we did.  I do think it is a good reminder for teachers to understand how boring it can be for the kids to sit there and listen to us drone on about something they really don’t care about.  I’ve heard that teachers make the worst students.  Doctors make the worst patients.  Nuclear physicists make the worst pastry chefs. I had a lawyer joke to insert, but I have a brother and a couple of cousins who might get upset.  You’d think they would have thicker skin.

If anyone can find a punch line for the joke I started, I’ll include it on my next blog.  I’ll try out making this an interactive blog; interactive meaning somebody else writes it and comes up with funny things to post.  That’s what teachers call “student centered learning”.  Letting the students chose what they want to learn about, and have them look it up.  If you can tell a student to use a dictionary to look up a word they want to know how to spell, why can’t you give them an algebra book when they have a question?  Even if it is about germs.

No comments:

Post a Comment