Friday, October 8, 2010

10-07-2010

I’m learning that one of the things that teachers don’t like is having new things thrown at them without notice.  I realize that isn’t unique to my profession, but it’s my blog so I get to do the whining.  Monday, my class increased by over 7% without anyone mentioning this to me.  He just showed up, stood inside the doorway, and looked at me. 
I’m not usually comfortable with people staring at me. This was no exception.  He looked intently at me as if he was expecting me to do something for him.  He stares and he’s needy.  What could a child want in a school?  I realize it took me way too long to figure out that he was a student, wanting me to find him a desk so he could sit down.  The principal said that it wasn’t the school’s policy to surprise teachers with students that way and he apologized.  I smiled and asked if I had to keep him since they violated school policy.  He’ll fit in fine with the other 14 students.
On a related note, Subway does not sell its foot long for $5 in Alaska.  It is a $6 dollar foot long.  The good news is that I don’t have to listen to that stupid commercial.  The bad news is that the $6 foot long song is worse.   This is all true.
As you’ve probably noted, if you have continued to read this far, it has been an uneventful week here. I received my winter gear from Cabela’s just in time for my furnace to quit working.  It hasn’t been too cold yet, but it has been freezing at night.  Pushing the reset switch seems to make the boiler work again.  I apologize for being technical here, but we have to be able to fix our own problems since there is no service tech in the area.  When I say we, I mean Joe.  I gave him my keys and asked if he could help.  God, he must be disgusted with me by now.
The new slippers are treating me well, and my new parka fits well.  It is made with real coyote fur, so I hope the wolves don’t snicker.  I wanted one with bear fur around the hood and bear teeth for buttons, but realized that would just be mocking the bears.  So, coyote will do.  Did I mention that it has been dull here this week? 
Now, I need to close the curtains; I think someone is staring through the window.  I don’t need a roommate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment