Thursday, November 25, 2010

11-25-2010


I’m sitting here wondering what to watch on TV.  On one channel, the View offers great insight in many of today’s most important topics.  For example, I never would have thought to use my extra moisturizing cream as a laxative.  On another channel, I can watch a sack of hot air shaped as a character, entertain and receive cheers from a crowd of holiday-crazed onlookers.  Or, I could watch the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.  (I hope Oprah isn’t reading this.) 

I was able to eat Thanksgiving dinner a day early.  The school put on a holiday dinner for the community yesterday, which drew a crowd of a hundred or so.  The cooks did a great job of cooking turkeys, potatoes, stuffing, fry bread, cake and the rest of the feast.  My job was to be the Thanksgiving Grinch, chasing students off the climbing bars in the gym and telling them to stop running around the tables. The kids decided to make a game out of it by pretending to ignore my scowls and harsh words. 

Monica has taken care of my Thanksgiving feast for me.  She, along with her mom, packed a box full of traditional cuisine; including stuffing, gravy, pumpkin bread mix, and turkey SPAM.  SPAM is there when your family can’t.  Maybe I should submit that to their ad campaign people.  When I proposed that same idea to the fine people at Jim Beam, I received a lukewarm reaction.  Which was better than the response I got from Coors about bacon flavored beer.  It was a letter from their attorneys, demanding I  stop sending them letters.  Whatever dummies; I’ll continue to take a bite of bacon and a drink of Henry’s.

I would like to say that I am thankful for Monica, allowing me to quit my secure job and go back to school to become a teacher.  She’ll come up here next year, and begin her career change.  Teaching couples are very valuable to school districts up here, so we both should have jobs as soon as she’s done with her college.  Then she can write a blog and I can become lazier than I already am.

I am going to get back to watching TV.  I’ll sit back and watch the NFL all day and forget about the parades.  I was looking forward to seeing the Glenn Beck balloon, but they had troubles with it, so it’s a no-go.  Apparently the substance he was filled with couldn’t get it aloft.  I guess warm crap and tears don’t float.  

No comments:

Post a Comment